OUAS December Challenge "My Favourite Month"

January

This challenge over at Once Upon a Sketch came together so effortlessly. Once I'd decided which month was my favourite, it all just fell into place.


Following the sketch, once again, worked really well. I love having a guide of where to place things. It makes scrapping that little bit easier and therefor even more enjoyable.

This is my take on the challenge.


January is my favourite month. It's in a period of rest from work for me as my day job shuts it's doors for a couple of weeks, the sun shines (mostly), we live only a few minutes from the beach so we go swimming often and best of all, we get to celebrate Australia Day on the 26th with a family get together and a B-B-Q.

I had been saving this paper "Great Southern Land"  from Kaisercraft for a while now, waiting for just the right project to come along and here it is!


I made a few shrinky Dink embellishments that are specific to the theme. Like the vegemite jar, potty people and thong. The wooden flourish is Kaisercraft too. I sprayed it half with "Lemon Zest" and half  with "Cut Grass" Dylusions Ink Sprays. It's actually called "Twig and Berries",  but if you spray it yellow and green it looks like wattle, Australia's National Flora.


 I added journalling to a tag that slips into a little envelope I decorated with an Australian postage stamp. I also stamped it using a Kaszazz stamp called "Address Small". What I love about it, is it says NSW in the post mark so it makes it Australian. Kaszazz also have a beautiful range of Australian papers and stamps in their catalogue starting on page 108.


The Journalling says

" January is sun, beach, fun, family time, Australia Day, camping, swimming and sunburn!"


I've done a little bit of background work. A chicken wire stencil and stamp, a little bit of coordinating Dylusions Ink Sprayed randomly and some red paint splatters. The word January is hand written onto shrinky dink plastic with a permanent marker, cut out and shrunk. I wanted a bit of a rough, rustic look to it.


I've located our home town on the map with a little heart button. As you can see, we are right on the coast in lower South Australia.


This page was awesome to create. I'm so proud of my country and love to celebrate it in January. Making a scrapbook layout about it just seemed the natural thing to do.

Thanks for popping by and checking out my blog.

If you want to get up dates on my posts you can become a member and follow me on Blog lovin or like my page on Face book. The link to it is HERE.

Cheers

Fiona

9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic layout. <3 it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your layout! So much fun and your own embellies work brilliantly. Fantastic! Thanks for playing along with us at such a busy time of the year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, especially the shrinky dinks. I agree, January in our part of the world is the best, with Australia day an important and special time with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PErfect reasons to love Jan. I love the map background page and the splats are great. Such a fun photo. Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS this month. Please load your layout onto our OUAS FB page too :D Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous hearty Aussie layout. Love it. Your details are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, cool, cool. I just love how you have put it all together - there is so much to explore on this page.
    Thank you for joining us at OUAS in December.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous page with elements that so perfectly fit your them, Fiona. What amazing creativity!! Thanks for joining us for the December Once Upon A…Sketch Challenge and for sharing your LO on our Facebook page! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this one .. your work is super fun

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx