SATW April Moodboard

Doggy Friends

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been camping over the Easter break. I had an awesome time resting and relaxing but mostly I enjoyed the opportunity to scrapbook. I never go camping without taking at least something to do that is scrap orientated. This time around I had only planned to do this layout for Scrap Around The World but I ended up doing my WW1 challenge as well. So all in all it was a very successful camping trip this time.


The mood board at SATW this month caught my eye immediately. Not that they always don't, but this one in particular jumped out at me. I love blues and aqua's. They always end up being some of my favourite layouts.


I took my inspiration from the butterfly's mostly. I just love butterfly's. In fact, lately, I haven't done a layout with out at least one on it. So I was extra pleased when I saw them here. I also loved the crackle affect. One of my favourite mediums, that I really don't incorporate into my projects often enough, is crackle. I also loved the circle swirls. I'm starting to get into Art journalling and the swirls look like something I could add onto a journal page next time I give it a go.


Isn't this the most ideal scrapbook studio? That's my mum's camper van in the background. She's so inspirational, she travels all over Australia in that, on her own. She's also my biggest fan when it comes to scrapbooking. The phoot is of my beautiful doggies. Xander is the Jack Russell sitting casually on top of Harry part Shepard part Malamute. Unfortunately Harry is no longer with us but he is always remembered.


I started this page with some stamping. As per usual, you can barely see it now but I used the Kaszazz background stamp "Subway Word Art". I love it because the wording is huge. Then I added the stencil. It's near impossible to see in the photo but it's important to mention because I tried something different with it.


You can just see it, in the photo below. I put Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle Paint over the top of the still slightly wet modelling paste that I'd used for the stencil. It worked a treat. The modelling paste absorbed the crackle paint and began to crack as it dried. I later emphasized the cracks by adding some water colour.


I also used some of Tim Holtz's coloured crackle paint "Pine Needles". I also used a trick I learnt accidentally last week on one of my creations. Except this time it wasn't an accident, it was deliberate. Don't you love it when a miss fortune in scrapbooking actually creates a whole new technique. Well this one is gold!


 I cover some chipboard or wooden embellishment (anything actually) with modelling paste and then, when it's not quite dry, stamp on it. It makes the best embellishment. I did it on this layout with the little wooden hexagons. One says Dream and the other, Wish. I also altered the other hexagons with Ink spray, crackle paint and black gesso.


I created the swirls by simply doodling on an old book page and then cutting it out. I love these so much, I think I'll use them again soon.

Next weekend I go camping again (all these Public Holidays are fantastic). I'm hoping to do a couple more layouts or maybe I'll do some journalling this time. I'll see where the mood takes me.

Thank you so much for popping by and checking out my entry. I can not encourage you enough to attempt the challenges that are on offer. They stretch your creative rubber band like you could never imagine. Don't be afraid. Have a go. Like the mood board says "Don't Over Think, Just Let It Go". I am definitely much better at letting go when it comes to my creative side now days. I'm loving it!!

Cheers

Fiona XX

35 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, and to think you did it on holiday away from your scrap space.. amazing.. love the back ground details.. and love the photo too.. I hope you get some more scrappy time next weekend too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy. I hope I get some scrapping done next weekend too lol

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore this! So gorgeous! Thank you so much for drawing inspiration from my mood board and joining us at SATW this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Riikka. Your kind words mean so much to me. xx

      Delete
  3. As usual you are my inspiration. Amazing layout. Love the colours, hand made embellishments and the layering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, you are so sweet. Can't wait to do it all again next weekend xx

      Delete
  4. Super Stunning, Fiona!
    Love that you also created this while camping....sounds like your Mum is 'living the dream'....lucky lady.
    Love your design and all your different elements! Thank you for sharing with us at Scrap Around The World :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous I have just found your blog.. :-) great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so beautiful!! And so much inspiring!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is a gorgeous reflection of the the mood board. Thanks so much for joining us at SATW! I love the pic of your 'scrapping' studio especially the aeroguard hehe! I was doing the same thing a week ago, nothing better hey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leonie. I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned the aeroguard! Didn't need it thankfully lol xx

      Delete
  8. Fantastic layout. I just LOVE it! The effects you have created give so much added texture and depth. Loving your circles from book pages too! Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic layout. Background is so funny and colourful. I love all that mess. Thanks for playing at SATW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fiona this is a knockout! I just love your design and everything just comes together so beautifully the background, paints the altered bits, really amazing! Love your outdoor studio, how perfect! Sweet photo too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. It is easy to be creative in such beautiful surroundings xx

      Delete
  11. Really love this layout, have only just found your work after a friend told me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meridith. I'm so thrilled you popped in to have a look xx

      Delete
  12. WOW! Fiona... This is a STUNNING layout.. love all the close ups, they do show of your layout BEAUTIFULLY... THANK you for joining us over @ SATW!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael. Loved the mood board this month. Super awesome!!

      Delete
  13. wow I love this layout Fiona! the colours and textures look amazing. Also love how you haven't over done them all. beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beck. So happy you like it xx We must catch up and go "Scramping" one day.

      Delete
  14. WOW your work is truely gorgeous, you can also join in on the fun at Unique Laser Design (A new company in the USA) - they have a wooden embellishment challenge - http://uniquelaserdesigns.blogspot.co.nz/p/april-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What cute dogs!!!! I love your studio - and traveling mom also :) But your layout is just stunning and I love it even more :):):) Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap Around The World.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my oh my! this is simply AMAZING! just look at the colours and the composition, pure bliss I say! Thank you so much for sharing this gem with us at Scrap Around The World!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exquisite , dramatic page! Thank you for sharing at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zanka. I'm afraid I do like a bit of drama in my layout lol!

      Delete
  18. Hi! I would like to let you know about Scrap Around The World epic anniversary event. Pleas visit our blog and play with us this month. You are one of the April 2014 finalist and you can win one of the 9 prizes. We would be happy to see your entry this month!
    http://scraparoundtheworld.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-2014-challenge-13-celebratory-mood.html

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx