SATW September challenge

Hi all.
I've been on holidays and so I've not really had a chance to scrap for "leisure" so to speak. I have lots of DT commitments, don't get me wrong, I love them, which is why I said for "leisure" and not for "fun" because no matter if they are DT or not they are fun. I haven't had a chance to enter any challenges this month and so I checked out my favourite challenge blogs and Scrap Around the World enticed me as they always do :)

Here is their magical moodboard designed by Amy Voorthuis. The old books caught my eye IMMEDIATELY!


Look closely at the pink one ............ 

There was my inspiration. My favourite childhood story in a moodboard. Who could ask for anything more?

I was so excited!!!

But ........... before I reveal the finished product I have to share with you how it came about........


To begin with, I created an absolute disaster ........ A dark mass of no direction and nothing good was coming of it. So I did what I should do more often ...... I ripped the bits off and started again!!! 

As I slowly rubbed and peeled the black paper layer off ......... I discovered that low and behold, I had actually created a transfer from the patterned paper (opposite side) onto the canvas and it looked AWESOME!

Curiouser and curiouser!

So now with my background pretty much already done, I could move onto the embellishing.


I wanted to incorporate my favourite elements of the story into the canvas.The shrinking and growing of Alice, in my childhood imagination was the most fascinating thing ever. So that was a must.




I decorated a little chipboard cupcake and a little glass bottle to represent the "Eat Me" and "Drink Me" part of Alice's' transformation.


I also wanted to incorporate the Mad Hatters Tea Party. This I did by adding a chipboard teapot stamped with a lace stamp and a little silver teapot charm.


The key and the lock were to represent Alice's journey through the little door and lots of clocks because we don't want to be late for that very important date!


And of course Alice. Here I had a little trinket I'd made for a necklace a while ago with a picture of Alice. It is one of the drawings from the original story book. I also added a little gingham bow.


In the bottom right hand corner I added a fob watch for the rabbit. This is a little trinket I had made also for an Alice themed necklace. it fitted in perfectly.


I finished it off by writing a prose from the book from which Alice was reading when her adventure began.
Even though this began with disaster it ended in true magic and I love it.

Not my usual thing to do but I think my confidence is growing when it comes to creating canvas art like this.

Cheers
Fiona xx












17 comments:

  1. Wow this is stunning, so much thought has gone into the embellishment and the back ground is amazing.. a wonderful take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an AWESOME way to start a page! One of a kind, for sure:):) I loooove the finished project....& all the bits & bobs that have such meaning! I have to say, I was given Alice as a kid and found her pretty hard going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, what a great take of the challenge! I am a great fan of your work, you are sooo talented!
    I love all the embellishments you used and the colors are gorgeous!
    Greetings from Germany
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful. I love it a lot. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words can describe how much I love it!!! Thank you for playing along with SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on the Mood Board! I love the concept of a canvas with the verse from Alice in Wonderland! Beautifully done! All the best from SATW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona! Love this one! Just like all your work my sweet!!!
    Thank you for playing along with us at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love live this Fiona. Awesome. Cheers Di

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful canvas!Thank you for playing along with us at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is...WOWWWW!!!! A great piece of artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow!!! this is absolutelly gorgeus; everything is perfect and the quotation is wonderful; thanks for playing with SATW

    ReplyDelete
  12. How can I tell you how much I love this! I love your story of turning something you weren't happy with and not giving up on it, very inspiring! We've all had that happen, I think it's a good sign actually because we're trying something new and unknown...... secondly, this is one of my favourite themes! I love Alice too, very much, I especially love to scrap the photographs of Lewss Carroll, and you have done such an amazing job! I adore all the little charms, the teapot and the key and the bottle, really tells the story, and just so well done girl! I love it to pieces. Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is fabulous Fee! I love all the Alice-themed embellies. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning Fiona! Love that you created such beauty from something you were not happy with ... awesome!! Fabulous take on the mood board with gorgeous colour and movement!! Absolutely love this!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrap Around The World!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! what gorgeous textures!Thanks for playing with SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woo Hoo Congratulations on your Top 10 win on Scrap Around the World. Love love love it, you told the story of Alice in such an amazing way, especially loved all the little embellishments and their tags. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx