Off the Rails Challenge "Polka Dots and Stripes" DT work

Polka Dots and Stripes


Once again, over at Off the Rails an awesome challenge has been created. This time it's Polka Dots and Stripes. I never normally give these two elements much thought but when I needed to for this challenge, I found I really enjoyed it. I had heaps of fun rummaging through my collection of "stuff" looking for anything with spots or stripes on it. I discovered I have heaps of spotty designs to choose from, stamps, stencils, papers but when it came to stripes ........ all I could find was some paper.


So I added it as a photo matt and stuck some out as a feature piece. I wasn't happy with this minimal addition so I cut up some washi tape I have that is actually a tyre print pattern and made "stripes" shooting up and down on the left hand side of my photo.


This photo is my beautiful and crazy daughter. She has the most beautiful red hair (that she insists on dying at least monthly! I think currently it's half brown and half yellow). Both of my babies are little gingers. I love it ....... and of course they don't! Their hair has always glistened in the summer sun so brightly and so this page is titled "You are my Sunshine". The background paper is from the Kaiser Craft collection "Take Note". I've combined that with another of their collections "Kaleidoscope".

  
 The butterfly's are stickers so I placed them onto some white card stock to strengthen them so I could sit them up on my page giving it some dimension. I'm really loving Kaiser Craft papers at the moment. There is so much to choose from and all the new papers are beautiful.


Along with the kaiser Craft embellishment pack, I've used  a Studio Calico die cut set. Again they are stickers but I didn't necessarily use all of them in that way. I'm not usually much of a cut outs user but I won this pack and it suited my layout perfectly. I think I could get used to these little add ons!


I used some of the ombre arrow heads, feathers and tags but the feature is the "You are my sunshine" tag. I couldn't believe it when this little pack coordinated with the "Take Note" paper that I used as my background piece. Along the bottom of the "Take Note" 12x12 was the words for the song "You are my Sunshine". Some things are just meant to be!!!


I had a field day adding polka dots! Firstly the background paper was covered in them. then I added with Distress Ink "Gathered Twiggs" a Tim Holtz  stencil "Dot Fade" then in black ink his background stamp "Mini Dots" then over the top Kaiser Crafts clear background stamp "Tiny Dots". Such fun!!




I finished the piece off by adding some coordinating paper flowers and other retro embellishments like one of Tim Holt'z bronze arrows, a kaszazz flower embellishment and a shrinky dink I made of a hipster guy, because Kaity's a bit hipster herself lol! She would hate me saying that.

So that's my piece. I hope you join in with the challenge over at Off the Rails Scrapbooking Blog. They have some awesome prizes on offer and your piece could even be featured on their Face Book page.

Cheers

Fiona xx

7 comments:

  1. Amazing colours and textures. The journaling is just perfect. A fantastic inspirational layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a strikingly gorgeous layout with a beautiful vibrant colour palette! I'm dotty about all the texture too :-) TFS!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous layout ...! Love to bits ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah....OMG!!!! your work is damm awesome...Love everything you create Fiona... Thanks for your inspiration, and Thanks for sharing.... This is a cracker layout!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful! The colour and the detail in this is amazing and inspiring! WOW!

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx