Stencils and Masks for Off the Rails DT

Stencils & Masks

The reason I love being on a Design Team? 
 It makes me scrapbook! 

I work full time, more often than not, fuller full time than the usual (that's crazy talk for more than 40 hours a week!). I also work in a very busy industry managing 30 people and some days I get home and just want to stare at the TV and zone out ......... but I have a DT piece due and the team is relying on me.

So I drag my butt into my studio and before I know it the nights gone. Time flies when you are having fun!! and then I'm all relaxed and refreshed and ready to do it all again.

So here's my contribution to this fortnights challenge. The theme is "Stencils and Masks". Stencils I use ALL the time. Love them in fact. At last count I own 24 of them but masks, not so much. 


I struggle with using negative images. I don't know why it's just a thing I can't seem to manage. So what I often find my self doing, is removing the mask from the template and using the template as the mask. Which I suppose technically turns it into a stencil. Hhhhmmmm. Any ways this is what I did. 


The colours are "Evergreen Bough" and "Gathered Twigs" Distress Inks, "Turquoise" Perfect Pearls Mists and "Vibrant Teal" and "White Linen" Dylusions Inks along with black and white gesso.


I also got to use my new Glitz Roller stamp. SO AMAZING!!!


I'm really into butterfly's at the moment. I used the technique of stamping the butterfly on the opposite side of the paper to what you want to use and then free cutting it out. You don't show the detail of the stamp, instead it's about showing off the pattern on the paper. Everyone still gets that it's a butterfly from it's shape.


I've also just recently and very fortunately received a MASSIVE prize from Kaszazz for winning a Face Book challenge they put out in February. So with some of the vouchers I received ($1000 worth!!!!!!! I know right? AMAZING), I stocked up on stamps.

I love Kaszazz's stamp range. Good selection, reasonably priced and most of all excellent quality. So I focussed on background stamps in particular. The one I've used on this layout is simply called "Inspirational Background" and I can see it quickly becoming one of my favourites.


I hope my work has inspired you to pop on over to the Off the Rails Scrapbooking Challenge Blog and have a go at the "Stencils and Masks" challenge for this fortnight.

The sponsor for this challenge is Darkroom Door.



Darkroom Door is owned by photographer Rachel Greig and graphic designer Stewart Yule who combine their talents to design a unique range of rubber stamps and papercraft products suitable for card making, scrapbooking, invitations, collage, mixed media and altered art. As the name suggests, Darkroom Door products have a strong photographic element in their design.

Products include: Rubber Stamps, Photo Stamps, Background Stamps, Frame Stamps, Collage Stamps, Word Block Stamps, Montage sheets, Photochips, and Filmstrips along with a wide range of accessories for all type of paper crafts.

Darkroom Door also has a fabulous blog that is updated regularly with projects created by many talented artists: darkroomdoor.com/blog

Check out the Darkroom Door website to see their full product range along with a gallery full of projects and ideas
Cheers
Fiona
xx

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, love all the details with your masking! Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy. It came together nicely. It's good when that happens lol xx

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this! I love the colors and all the different elements and textures going on the splashes and the drips and stamps, so amazing! You have a beautiful blog...love your style....thanks for dropping by my blog ;) I have heard of Off the Rails, I'm going to go and check it out.....Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa for your lovely comments. I'm a big fan of your work, find it very inspirational. Thank you for stopping by and I'd love to see you enter over at Off the Rails, really exciting things happening there :)

      Delete
  3. This is SENSATIONAL.....simply mind-blowingly STUNNING...so looks like you better keep workin' those hours if this is the result!!! And LUCKY you!!! That's an amazing prize...AND did you see you won the random draw at Kreative Koncepts??? LOL.... good on you:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. It is an awesome prize. So lucky to have won it and yes I did see the Kreative Koncepts random winner was me. Must be my lucky month lol

      Delete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx