White with "Grape" February Challenge

I Love U

Grape hey??? Never in my whole scrapping life have I ever used purple. Not a lie. NEVER. So when I say "challenge" in this instance, I really mean it. But ........ I have to say after all the stress I went through planning this page, I actually think it's o.k.



White With One had some awesome inspirational DT pieces to share and this certainly helped alleviate my stress a little. I do love their challenges. Before I discovered them I rarely only stuck with one main colour. I've found that the challenges have shown me how to reign in my tendency to over colour my pages in the past and I have to say that every piece I've designed for these challenges so far are a few of my current favourites. It is also for some reason the first challenge I do at the beginning of each month. I think I love how it's straight to the point. My mind can work with that well!



I struggled to find purple anything in my stash but luckily I had Dyan Reaveley's  Ranger Dylusions Ink Spray "Crushed Grape". Talk about perfect!
I sprayed, stamped and stenciled the background until I was happy with the effect. Then I started working on my papers. They are scruffed, gesso'd and punched to make them look grungy to go with the background. I also used a collectable's frame from Kaisercraft "The Lakehouse" collection. It was a cornflower blue colour so I sprayed it grape! and wiped the excess off with paper towel. I also sprayed a white Prima flower.


Another Kaisercraft piece I used was this wooden flourish flower. I roughly painted it with white gesso and then while it was still wet, I sprinkled white embossing powder over it. When heated it reacted with the gesso and left a gnarly lumpy affect that I just loved.


The feathers I collected off of the beach on a recent little weekend holiday at the beach. I love the way designers are incorporating feathers into their work recently and have been desperately wanting to give it a go.

I love this photo of my daughter. She's the selfie queen as most 19 year old girls are. I'm thankful for that because I get a huge variety of Instagram photos that I can scrap. Now I just need to get my 21 year old son to do the same. Hmmmm now that'll be a challenge.

Again I find myself with a page I'm really chuffed with that I didn't have much hope for in the beginning. Thank you White With One for pushing me out of my comfort zone once again.

Cheers

Fiona

Join me on Facebook at Pastiche Scrapbook Studio fb page



9 comments:

  1. Love the way you layer your stencilling and papers they work so well together with embellishments like the feathers and small stars adding that special touch to bring it all together beautifully. Fantastic work that inspires us new to challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love love love this Fiona.
    Totally inspired!
    and I love that you love the WW1 challenges because I know that I, for one, look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    and you haven't let me down.
    Adore this!
    thanks for playing along with us at WW1 :-) Can't wait to see what you do with NEXT months colour. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous background and I love those feathers! Thanks for joining us at WW1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah babe, i am not a purple fan and i pushed myself into this challenge... wow your piece is da bomb, i love the layering and the photo goes so well with your piece, just awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi I love purple we all have the same spray lol I love all the layers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purple I must say I also had a little bout of stress!!!! but you nailed it, with a stunning layout. Thankyou for playing along with WW1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning layout Fiona!! You worked magic with the grape. Thanks so much for playing along at WW1 this month. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I actually think it's ok" (your words)??? It's AWESOME. You rocked the grape and pretty much all with just a bottle of ink spray!!! I sooooo can't wait to see your LO for March's colour. Oh and thanks so much for your comment about the DT LOs inspiring you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously you have rocked the Grape Fiona this layout is incredible! I just love everything about it especially your background and the photo is the best! thanks so much for joining us at White with 1 this month Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx