ScrapFriends Colour Challenge #21 Jan-Feb & Berry71bleu Feb challenge "Mixed Media"

This is the first time I've entered either of these challenges. I've entered ScrapFriends sketch challenge before but never their colour challenge and Berry71bleu is a whole new experience for me but I loved their theme this month "Mixed Media".

So I created this. I've also made a little video of the steps taken to get the background affect with water colours, gelatos and gesso. You can view it in the "My Tutorials" tab or by the link at the bottom of the page.


Zeneva Kovic, over at Scrapfriends provided us with an amazing colour wheel and mood board. I picked up on the Raspberry, Lilac and yellow in the wheel as my feature colours and then mixed the grey and plumb in as highlights.

I also edited my photo to depict a Deep Pink sea so as not to add too much blue to the page. From the picture I took the texture of the hanging lights and transferred this onto the page by using lots of different mixed media techniques and corrugated cardboard cut outs and backing paper.

I included the chevron in two ways. The modelling paste with my little chevron stencil and the chevron washi tape strip underneath the photo.



I wanted this page to be really different from anything I've done before and to really focus on the mixed media aspect. A lot of water colour work makes up the background along with stamping and stencilling. I'm a painter from way back and so I'm not fearful of using acrylic paint on my layouts but water colours are a different medium all together!



All of the background is created by water colour, Gelatos and gesso. You can see it unfold on my "making of" video in the tabs section called "My Tutorials" at the top of my blog.

I've given depth to the page by adding 2crafty and UmWow Studio chipboard pieces. I've coloured them using Gelatos and adding a little bit of water.


I made a paper ring from scrap card to create the big circle and I used smaller rolls to create the other circles. They were transferred onto the page using black gesso, water colour or gelatos. I finished the page off with a Tim Holtz background stamp "Honeycomb" and splattered some watered down black gesso.


This was a scary page for me. It could have gone very pear shaped very quickly. There are of course lots of things I'd do differently next time but overall I'm pretty happy with the end result.



I can't wait to try this type of layout again. I think I could easily get addicted to a Mixed Media dominated style of Scrapping!

 



9 comments:

  1. This is such a work of art! There is so much to look at and take in, but you did a great job of leading your eye around the page with different elements! Really cool photo too! Thanks for sharing and playing along with Scrap Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool collection of colors and textures!Thanks for playing along at Berry71Bleu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love how you have combined these colours and used them to make a visually exciting layout. Thank you for joining us at ScrapFriends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo stunning layout!!! I love colours! Composition! Photo! And everything! Thank you for playing with us at Berry71Bleu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous layout and colors. Love all the background work. Thanks for joining us at Berry71Bleu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing colors and details! Wonderful background work! Fabulous! Thank you for playing along with us at Berry71Bleau!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vibrant colours and such a fresh page! Love how you pulled that pink from your photo! When trying some new techniques, it's always scary as the result is always an unknown...but you really did a great job and the result is really super! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Berry71Bleu! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the top 5 win, it is a stunning layout. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful Fiona! Truly love the mix of colors and your technique is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at berry71bleu.

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx