Once Upon a Sketch January Sketch Challenge

Lesson Learnt

This month over at Once Upon a Sketch the theme is "Lesson Learnt". I couldn't wait to do this sketch challenge as I had the perfect photo to use!


The sketch was a great guide. Another easy to follow sketch from Nadia Cannizzo. The background took all week to do. Not because it was difficult but because I've been really busy this week. I'd do one layer and then leave it a day to dry, then I'd come back the next night and do the next layer and so on until it was ready for photo's and embellishments.

I had bought some Prima Junkyard Findings car parts and had been waiting for just the right project to incorporate them into.

 
I also added a wooden embellishment that I painted with black Gesso and backed with red paper to help it stand out. There's no way I was going to miss capturing this moment!


The background paper is from a Tim Holtz collection of 12x12's called "Crowded Attic". I love these papers for rustic layouts.

 
I've also used some Chipboard "Chicken Wire" from Blue Fern Studios painted black. The square stamp is Prima Stitch Square and the stencil a 6x6 Checker Stencil from Prima.

 
Some Chevron washi tape from Kaszazz gives the piece a masculine affect. I wanted tyre tracks but of course I found it AFTER I had finished the page. I might add some on at a later date.


I also experimented with my Faber Castell Gelatos for the first time on this project. It gave a real richness of colour in spots throughout the background.


My journaling is hand written as usual and this time I've tried to use a scrawly font. The sentiment is a bit cheeky as our 4WD mate will often take a chance. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Either way it's always fun.



All in all, I'm quite happy with the way this turned out. I haven't used red as a main colour much but I think it worked really well with this pair of photos.

Thanks for popping over and checking my challenge sketch piece out.

Cheers

Fiona
















7 comments:

  1. Fabulous! LOOOOVE that texture & those colours on this page.....wonderful take for our OUAS challenge...so glad you joined in! If you haven't already, you can link this to our Once Upon A…Sketch Facebook Page ...we have a separate prize over there as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this layout and I think you are very brave to say that to a man.... I know what mine would have answered :) love the bold colour and texture on the background page and the fun photos... I think it is a great layout. I love that stamp too it looks awesome. Thanks so much for playing along with us at OUAS this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Fiona!! What a fun and fabulous masculine page!! Love the splashes of red and loose fibers. Such great journaling and love seeing it in your own hand!! I hope you'll have the chance to post your fab LO over on the OUAS FB page!! There's an extra chance for a prize when you share with us there. Thanks for joining us for the January Once Upon A…Sketch Challenge! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic page! I love the papers and all the embellishments! And Your hand written journalling is perfect! :-)
    Thank you for playing along with us at OUAS on January :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I had to laugh! I'm sorry but your layout definitely brought a smile to my face as I've seen the same thing. Awesome design! I love everything about it, the color, the embellishments even your handwriting! Well done! All the best! http://mybeaner.blogspot.ca/ Come visit sometime! A new fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous layout and I love the back ground colours, textures, blooms and cute pic.
    Thanks so much for joining us at OUAS:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool story! and amazing LO! Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx