Tutorial for 7 Dots Studio

Hello everyone! Well it's taking a bit for me to get back into the swing of things after the new year but here I am with a quick little step by step tutorial on how I created the background for this wintry layout.


It's our summer at the moment so it felt really weird making a winter layout in January but I just love this collection "Northern Lights" from 7 Dots Studio that I just had to give it a go.


So I started by adding some coordinating colours to a plastic bag. You could use an actual paint sheet like a craft mat, I just couldn't find mine! then I used my brayer to smoosh the paint together (yes smoosh is the technical term here). Once the paint was nicely smooshed, I pressed my triangle Gel Press shape onto it and picked up some of the colours and then transferred that onto my background piece creating a snowflake like pattern.


Next up I cut up my clear stamp. yes I did that! I know it seems like the most sacrilegious thing to do but ..... it worked really well!! I needed strips of the pattern so the only real way to achieve this was to cut the stamp into strips. Do it! You'll feel alive!


I stamped a strip pattern through the centre of the snowflake like design to create the details of the snowflake. I could start to see it all coming together now. phew .... this was an experiment so ... it could have gone very wrong, but it worked out ok in the end.


lastly, to make them look more snowflakey, I gave drew some white details over the stamping with my paint pen and gave the whole page some paint flicks in green, turquoise and white. now i was ready to build the rest of my page.


With some sticker elements,


Chipboard pieces,


and some die cut elements, i dressed the page up to look all wintry and beautiful.


The hardest step was finding photos to suit. We don't have snow where I live, we have beaches and sun, especially this time of year, so my pictures were not suitable. Then I found some photos of my beautiful girl and they were perfect!


I hope you enjoyed my little step by step tutorial. it's always fun to experiment and try something new. Looking forward to catching up with you all again very soon.


Products used:






No comments:

Post a Comment

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx